HANG-UP'S // At the MapleXO HQ's, we cut up tons of boards every week. This uniqueness of each used board shows how skateboarding is a completely individualistic and creative activity. Because of it's individualistic nature, skateboarding attracts some of the most creative and eccentric minds. These minds are breeding grounds for nervous habits, quirks, and hangups that affect every aspect of their skating. No one that skateboards can comfortably ride any board set up in any way. They have to make it their own before they can actually skate it. Everything from the size of their board, the color of their shoelaces, the number of mounting hardware they use, the color of the top ply on their board, to things as simple as how loose their trucks are affect how each skateboarder feels about the board under their feet. At MapleXO, we love to embrace individuality and so we've been asking skateboarders to reveal all their quirks, habits, and hang-ups when it comes to how they like to skate their board. Take a look //
Name: Brian Johnson
From: Fairfield, CA
Usually Skate: Fairfield Park, SF, Sacto, San Jose, or any where in Nor Cal
On Skateboarding: "You get to be a kid and escape the real world. Skating is my life its what I want to do when I wake up and the last thing I think about when I fall asleep. Skate Skate Skate that’s it"
1. Always gripped from tail to nose in a particular pattern.
2. Stickers are always on the nose and under the front truck so that if the board is vertical standing on the tail they are readable.
3. Always skate a set of trucks until the back truck breaks then I put a new set of trucks on even if the front truck is still good.
4. Ride my wheels graphic out for about a week until they get a little yellow then rotate them graphic in but wont rotate them after that.
5. Ride Colored top ply’s any color including red.
6. I always flip my board over with my back foot whenever I step off my board.